Friday, May 4, 2018

30 Day Art Challenge, Day 17 and 18

When I started this art challenge, I didn't realize that I would be as busy as I have been in the past weeks.  After getting over this cold, I have suddenly been inundated with all kinds of personal type things that have kept me out late, up past a reasonable hour, and busier than I have been in a long while...

However I have still managed to find a bit of time to get this challenge done.  Keeping up on the blog, however has proven a bit harder.


So here is a recap for those keeping score:

30 Day Art Challenge
  1. Flight 
  2. Dreams or Dreamscape 
  3. Darkness 
  4. Character 
  5. Love 
  6. Motherhood 
  7. Nature 
  8. Movement 
  9. Astrology 
  10. Harmony 
  11. Technology 
  12. Lightness 
  13. Water 
  14. Sweet 
  15. Out of Time 
  16. Reflections 
  17. Purity 
  18. Solitude 
  19. Freedom 
  20. Joy 
  21. Mystery 
  22. Childhood
  23. Fantasy 
  24. Companion 
  25. Abstract 
  26. Modern 
  27. Wish 
  28. Happiness 
  29. Comfort 
  30. Self
Day 17 - Purity and Day 18 - Solitude.

Purity. 
This one was a bit of a challenge.  My first thought was snow.  "Pure as the freshly fallen snow" and all of that.  But, confession?  I am terrible at drawing and interpreting snow.  It usually just ends up looking like my paper got smudged and dirty.

So instead I went with a "white" rose.  Because we all know I love color and nothing in my world is photo real, I went all abstract-impressiony.
Purity, Watercolor on Paper
I have been trying all kinds of new techniques with my watercolors lately.  I don't normally paint wet on wet, mostly because I don't normally have paper good enough to stand up to that much water.  So I have learned to compensate...  However, I have wanted to really expand on my abilities during this challenge.  Thanks to an excellent sale at my favorite hobby/art store, I was able to get 140 lb cold press paper.  It is not the highest quality paper, but for learning, it will do.

I still had a problem with pooling, but I think next time I will pre-stretch my paper and see if that helps.  

I used wet on wet washes in violets and blues, using a paper towel to blot out some of the color and exaggerate the ombre effect.  The bright white spots are the result of a not too great cell camera picking up some random highlights.  (Note to self, make a camera or scanner your next big purchase).

Day 18 - Solitude

More watercolor.  

Solitude, Watercolor on paper.
I wanted to try the technique of using salt in watercolor for this one.  I like the effect, but next time I might reserve it for a snowy sky, or use a lot less liberally if I am attempting a field of stars again.

I want to keep learning, and eventually, I want to pass on that which I have learned. (To paraphrase from a great Jedi Master. (May the 4th be with you!)

Tomorrow - Freedom.  I have some ideas.  But I also have a ton to do... so here's hoping that I don't draw myself into a corner.




No comments:

Post a Comment