Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The 30 Day Art Challenge Day 2 - Dreams

I survived day one, and I have to say, I enjoyed my hummingbird. Today, though took me some time to work out

Today's theme is Dreams.  30-45 minutes. Draw something that matches the theme. Use the first idea that comes to mind. (Do NOT overthink!)

30 Day Art Challenge:

  1. Flight
  2. Dreams or Dreamscape
  3. Darkness
  4. Character
  5. Love
  6. Motherhood
  7. Nature
  8. Movement
  9. Astrology
  10. Harmony
  11. Technology
  12. Lightness
  13. Water
  14. Sweet
  15. Out of Time
  16. Reflections
  17. Purity
  18. Solitude
  19. Freedom
  20. Joy
  21. Mystery
  22. Childhood
  23. Fantasy
  24. Companion
  25. Abstract
  26. Modern
  27. Wish
  28. Happiness
  29. Comfort
  30. Self
Dreams. Seems simple enough.

I mean, everyone dreams right?

But how do you convey a dream in art? Sweeping mythical landscapes? Escher-like architecture that couldn't possibly exist in life? Melting clocks? Giant floating islands among sweeping clouds?

First of all, these are supposed to be simple studies, not masterpiece level works. And while I can achieve realism (given a LOT of time), I will never be MC Escher, or Dali, or Magritte. 

I needed something that fits my style now. Colorful, simple, elements of primitive...

I think a lot about dreams, believe it or not. When I was a high school adolescent first learning about Freud I became obsessed about learning more about the subconscious mind.  I read all sorts of books about dreams and dream interpretation. Common symbols, and what they might mean.

And dreams can be anything. They can be dark or light, funny or frightening, realistic or so confusing they leave you reeling for days.

Of course, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Then there is the other meaning. Dreams, not as a communication from your subconscious mind, but as desire.  Some people dream of a big house or lots of money.  My dreams tend to be less pedestrian and lean more towards romantic notions of what life can be.

I dream of being a writer.
I dream of being an artist.
I dream of being the architect of my own future.

(Of course, money and a big house would also be nice...)

How do you draw ambition?

I had a feeling I was over thinking things...

Really, there isn't anything that a dream can't be. And that is what makes dreams so amazing. They have no limits, only your imagination, and mine is absolutely infinite in scope. Just like the universe.

Dreams, Colored pencils and acrylic on paper

My dreams can't be contained by a single thought or idea. 

I prefer it that way.

Tomorrow... Ooohhhhh.... Darkness.
Alrighty then

No comments:

Post a Comment